marți, 9 martie 2010

York from Yorkshire



So I decided to visit something last week-end. I went to York.

I admit, I was pretty excited by the idea, until reality stepped in: out of all the days of the week, Saturday had to be the coldest and sunless one. At least it didn't rain.

Yorkminster- huge, expensive. I admit, I will not pay 8 pounds to visit a church, the house of God. I can't believe the prices. Fortunately from the entrance you get a glimpse of what you could visit, and maybe it was the truth, maybe I was prompting myself to think about the pocket, but I decided it wasn't worth the financial effort. Beautiful windows, but not that beautiful to extract a ticket from me.

Then, off to the next objective (which suffered alterations on the way) - The Dungeaons. Well, if you have seen the queues in London, myabe you understand, that was not worth it either.

Well, the result was I went to visit Jorvik, the remains and replica of the Viking settlement in the area. They even replicated the smells, which left me nauseated for half an hour (I guess soap wasn't very popular in those days), but thinking better about York. Unfortunately my camera decided to 'die' on my way there, so no proof of ever having visited the place :)

The Shambles - now that I think better, I guess I have seen just the ebginning of the street. Didn't get to taste the charm of it.

You may say it sounds like a 'never go there' place. I guess one sunny summer day I will get there again, but with more research done. And I will skip the shops, because you can find shops everywhere. I am still looking for that je ne sais quoi of England. Hope I will find it eventually.

Un comentariu:

ana@.fotografnunti.org spunea...

very interesting you're story!big like!!!