duminică, 11 octombrie 2009

Destination Buxton






Welcome to Buxton!

Don't ask me the location, I am still struggling to make the difference between the surroundings of Manchester and Derbyshire (hope I am not mistaken). Anyway, lovely, as Brits say.

Fresh air,a traditional town, not much to be seen, but the surroundings and the forest make it quite pleasant.

I had the chance to to visit a cave for the first time in my life, pretty interesting, although I would have expected it to be larger.

Above you will see some photos from this location and the town. Please notice the bookshop, a piece of fairy-tale scenery, and what I like to call "walking bird flu" (everybody's got some fixed ideas).

Ok,back in Manchester I went to a pretty French restaurant.Of course, there were some French people in it.OK, just one girl, on her first date with a bloke who spoke French pretty well, but with a strange accent. It's not very important for this stiry.

The important aspects were the following:

- she was fat, highly unlikely compared to the impression that Brits have with regards to French (that women are quite classy and thin)

- he was fishing for a ... shag

- she was flirty, he was... just a blabber-mouth

- he received the bill from the waiter, and without her seeing threw it on the floor; then, with not that subtle movements of his feet he began pushing the bill towards her, while talking loudly so she wouldn't notice his intentions

- eventually she realized the bill was on the floor, picked it up and drew out her card, to pay it

- he didn't make any move to stop her from paying, even though it was obvious for everybody around it was their first date.

Well, folks, what can I say? I am an old-fashioned Eastern European woman. The man has to pay on a first date (on a second one etc :)). The only thing I could put up with would be to split the bill, but only under special circumstances. But, maybe I am just being out-dated and do not understand how the modern world works.

Bottom line, the day was a success, I highly recommend a day out in Buxton and the food at Cafe Rouge in Manchester (so what if it is a franchise? the food is better than in some London restaurants who claim to be creme de la creme)

Niciun comentariu: